Friday, May 31, 2013

Shiki, Shiki, Shiki Can't You See?




"Sometimes your words just hypnotize me . . ."
Can any poet ask for higher praise?
This is a series of Haiku/Senryu that riffs off of lines from famous hip-hop songs. It might be the most fun I've had writing in a long time. As I come up with more I'll be adding them, so check back. Judging from the reaction on my Facebook page "Don't call it a comeback" is one of the best haiku I've ever written. Special shout out to Coyote, @Coyotesings on Twitter whose brilliant haiku;

hands in the air • like they just don't care.. • delphiniums



was the inspiration for my series. Since this is the internet there are links to the original songs for those of you who might not recognize the lines. Shiki of course is the great haiku master who modernized and elevated haiku to a literary art form and gave it the recognition it deserved.

Bass
How low can you go-
Evening thunder 

Don't push me
cuz I'm close to the edge-
Silent lightning

we're making that green-
Lawn sprinkler whirls

we like to party-
Squirrels zigzag

To reintroduce myself-
The Summer breeze

F*ck tha Police
coming straight from the underground-
Tulips with attitude

We been here for years-
Hum of cicadas

Set it off
on the right Y'all -
Snowplows at dawn

a hip to the hippety-
Bullfrogs break at dawn

the roof is on fire- 
Summer sunset

on Say What popcorn-
Fresh lip gloss

Set it off
set set set set it off-
Autumn leaves ablaze


And until next we meet, may all your potatoes be sweet (and dusted with cinnamon.)

No comments: